Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Are you being followed?


This next post in my Twitter lineup is on following and being followed.  We all know there are spammers out there.  If you didn't know that, you do now.  Twitter is no exception.  In fact, the latest spam I received from one of my Twitter Friends (that I have met IRL) said the following:

"Hello somebody is saying really bad things about you...http://t.co/rsWBZOF"

This came to me, from my friend's account (at least it sure looked like it) in the form of a direct message.  My first instinct is to click on the link.  Who could it be and what have I done to them?  Then that small voice in the back of my head (actually it's my husband's voice) reminds me not to click links that I can't be sure are legitimate.  I'll admit I have fallen for that before and it causes my husband hours of fixing my computer. 



Usually when this happens, someone has hacked into and sent that message via my friend's account.  If this happens to you, go in and change your password.  Not too much harm done.  If you have used that password for other non-Twitter accounts, my recommendation is to change the password on all those accounts too. 

What about when someone follows you and you know that they are a spammer?  This is usually because their tweets are nothing but links that are not legitimate, they have no info in their profile, and they have no avatar.  You have the option to block this account from following you again.  You can also report them to Twitter as a Spammer. This is done from the Profile section when you pull up your followers. 

It's important if you have a fully public account (meaning your Tweets are not private/protected & you allow anyone to follow you) that you review your followers periodically.  Obviously, you want to return the follow if it is someone you are interested in having contact with. 

Alright Twitter Pros...any other spammer tricks our new friends to Twitter should watch out for?





No comments:

Post a Comment