Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Work/Life Balance

As the annual SHRM Workflex Conference is in full swing this week, I thought it ironic that my blog post was on this topic.  Well, maybe I planned it that way.  You never know.

This year I participated in an OHSHRM State Council meeting where Scott Ferrin (@SHRMSCOTT)  from SHRM explained  different Workflex ideology and how to incorporate that into the workplace.  It was a highly educational for someone like myself who never had the opportunity to explore these options in their workplaces. 

So, what are some of the things he shared with us?  For one, did you know that SHRM partners with the Families and Work Institute?  They define themselves as: 

 "Families and Work Institute is a nonprofit center dedicated to providing research for living in today’s changing workplace, changing family and changing community."

Their most recent research suggests several things that stroke a chord with me about the changing workforce.  Maybe these stats will resonate in your life as well.  Did you know that:

There are so many options available for employers to review their rigid policies/procedures on Workplace Flexibility.  SHRM and the Families and Work Institute have dedicated time and money to research and offer such solutions.  I encourage you to take a look at them.  Times have changed...this should be no surprise to you!  We are all dealing with some balance issues in our lives.

Many of you have noticed and reached out to me as to why I haven't been blogging as much.  Well, to put it simply, I am working on my own Work/Life Balance.   Sometimes you have to take a step back, take a deep breath, and listen.  I'll still be blogging, but not once a week.  The next few months will be very hectic at work and at home.  Make time for the important things in your life - relationships.  I've said it from the beginning, it's not about the numbers - it's about the relationships.

So, what are you struggling with? 
What are your employees struggling with? 
How can you use all this research/solutions to better the lives of your employees?



2 comments: